We’ll Check Your Vision and Eye Health, in Lake Forest
Comprehensive eye exams do much more than explain or diagnose immediate symptoms! Even if you have no complaints with your vision and don’t notice any problems with your eyes, regular eye exams are still necessary. From infants to golden-aged retirees, everyone should have routine, professional eye examinations. This is the only reliable way to prevent future ocular complications, as well as rule out any undetected vision conditions.
Our friendly eye doctors, Dr. Jon Morrison and Dr. Jackie Cullinane, are experienced and adept at performing thorough eye exams. With expert skill and a warm, gentle manner, we’ll inspect your entire visual system for any signs of disease or abnormality. Call today to reserve an appointment at Lake Forest Optometry, serving Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Irvine and the entire South Orange County.
What will you experience during an eye exam at Lake Forest Optometry?
We’ll welcome you into our modern, pleasant office and meet with you to discuss your case history and visual needs. It’s important to share your family eye history with us, with details about any past or present medical and vision issues. The basic tests that we’ll perform in our Lake Forest office may include:
- Visual acuity testing of each eye, separately and together – with and without corrective eyewear.
- Diagnosis of the focusing power of your eyes (refraction). We’ll use objective measurement with a retinoscope, as well as subjective techniques, such as a phoropter, that require you to provide feedback on what you see through a series of lenses. You’ll be asked to read a basic eye chart.
- Assessment of binocularity and eye teaming – the ability of your eyes to work together. We’ll also check eye mobility, depth perception and color vision.
- Ocular health exam. If a dilated eye exam is required, eye drops will first be inserted and you’ll need to wait about 20 minutes for them to take effect. We’ll inspect the inner tissues of your eye, using high-powered magnification. This part of the exam enables us to rule out or diagnose eye disease, such as macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and cataracts. To return home after your appointment, you may need to wear sunglasses until the eye drops wear off, which usually takes about 4-6 hours.
- Glaucoma screening will be done using tonometry, which measures pressure inside the eye. We’ll also examine your optic nerve and retina, and check peripheral vision.
- If necessary, we’ll perform additional tests to investigate possible problems. These tests may include corneal topography, retinal imagery and visual field testing.
- Our optometrists will discuss all of our findings with you to determine the best course of treatment for your lifestyle and ocular requirements. If vision correction is needed, we’ll prescribe lenses to treat your problem or recommend vision therapy. If medical or surgical treatment is required, we’ll co-manage your condition.
How often do you need comprehensive eye exams?
According to the American Optometric Association (AOA), kids should follow this schedule:
- First eye exam at six months old
- Second eye exam at three years old
- Third eye exam before entering school, at about five to six years old
If your child has no pediatric health risk factors and doesn’t need vision correction, then follow-up exams are advised at least every two years. Otherwise, eye exams may be required more frequently; ask your eye doctor for personalized instructions.
All adults over age 40 are recommended to have a yearly eye exam, because the risk of common ocular diseases rises with age. If you wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, annual eye exams should be done at all ages. After age 60, more frequent eye exams will likely be advised by your eye doctor. Certain risk factors, such as hypertension and diabetes, lead to a need for more regular eye exams, as advised by your physician and eye doctor.
If it’s time for your comprehensive eye examination, we’ll be pleased to give you an appointment in our convenient office, using today’s latest technology, only minutes from Irvine, Mission Viejo and Foothill Ranch, CA. We can’t wait to take a good look at the eyes of your whole family!
Schedule Your Next Eye Exam With Lake Forest Optometry, Today!
For more information on eye exams or to schedule an appointment, please don’t hesitate to call us today at (949) 581-6880.